eClass allows you to give one or more students a second opportunity to take their quiz using individual user overrides or group overrides for quizzes. These overrides can be used to allow a different number of quiz attempts, as well as a different open/close date/time windows and a different time limit. The overrides will also allow your students to continue their previous attempt in conjunction with other quiz setting.
If you do not alter one or more of these settings, the settings will remain at the original quiz defaults. For example, if the quiz is closed to all students because the quiz’s original close date/time has passed and you do not adjust the override’s close date/time, even if you give a specific student a second attempt, they will not be able to access the quiz.
If you want the student’s second attempt to be a continuation of the first (for instance, to provide the student 10 more minutes to finish the final exam, because the student lost internet connection at the very end of the 100-question test), you will need to change some overall Quiz Settings before you can accurately enter the override.
To add a user override to your existing quiz:
- Log on to eClass and click on your course.
- Click on your quiz on the course homepage.
- Click the More icon and select Overrides from the drop-down menu, as shown below:
- Choose User overrides from the drop down menu, then click the Add user override button, as shown below:
- Then on the Edit override page, select the student’s name for the Override user section. (You can search or select from the from the Search drop-down.)
- Adjust the following settings as required:
- Require password – Add a password if you want the student with the override to enter a password to complete the quiz.
- Open the quiz & Close the quiz – Adjust the open and close date/time windows. Check “Enable” button so that you can adjust these settings.
- Time limit – Change the time limit. Check “Enable” button so that you can adjust this setting.
Attempts allowed – Allow more (or less) attempts than the quiz defaults.
- For a second attempt, you would change the “Attempts allowed” to “2.” Don’t forget to double-check that the “Close the quiz” date/time has not already passed or you will need to adjust this setting as well.
- When you are done, click either the Save or Save and enter another override buttons.
If you want student’s second attempt to be a continuation of the first, in addition to the above changes, make sure that you also make the following changes:
- Go to your course home page and click on your quiz.
- From the quiz landing page, click the Settings icon in the top menu bar.
- In the Settings page, Scroll down and click on Question behaviour to expand the section
- Click on Show more... to show additional option
- Set the value for Each attempt builds on the last to Yes.
- Finally, click on Save and return to course or Save and display button.
Additional information on User and Group overrides is available here.