Any Moodle assessment activities (i.e. Assignments, quizzes, etc.) will automatically appear in the Gradebook once they are added to the course. However, some assessment activities may take place offline. Such activities may include: oral presentations, exams, participation, etc. It is possible to add these items to the Gradebook and enter grades manually so that they are available to students and calculated as part of the final grade in Moodle.
Steps to Add Offline Grade Items to Your Gradebook
- Click Grades in the navigation block to open the Gradebook. The Gradebook will display the Grader report on the View tab.
- Click Setup on the row of tabs. The Gradebook setup page appears.
- Click Add grade item button at the bottom of the table. The setting page to add a new item appears. You may need to click Show more... to display all the options.
- Enter the Item name. This will be the name students see.
- You can customize a number of other settings here, such as hiding or locking the grades; however, other than those specified here, the default settings are the recommended settings. Enter the Maximum grade. For example, if you are marking the item out of 10, 10 is the Maximum grade.
- If you are using categories in your course, select the category in which the item should appear from the Grade Category drop-down list under Parent category. By default, it will appear under the course title as an uncategorized item in the course.
- Click on Save changes button.
The item now appears in the Gradebook.
Entering Grades for Offline Grade Items
You can add grades to these items from the View tab.
- Click Turn Editing on button within the Gradebook.
- Enter grades in the box with the solid border and any comments in the box with the dashed border.
- Click Save changes button at the bottom left when you have finished entering grades to save your changes.